Legalities/Financial Support You need to Apply for Before and Right After the Birth of Your Child in Germany

Like with every thing else in Germany, giving birth brings along various bureacracies that you need to take care of. Here are some of the stuff you will need to take care of before and right after your bundle of joy arrives.

Registering the child

Birth Certificate

  • This is issued at the local Standesamt. The birth should be registered within the first week. (Some hospitals will do this for you, so ask beforehand)
  • For single mothers you will need a Vaterschaftserklärung for the father’s name to be entered into the birth certificate

Health Insurance

  • Call the Health Insurance and they will send you the form to fill out.
  • The child is automatically insured under the parent’s policy
  • For the statutory health insurance this is free until the child turns 18 or 25 if they are at the University and earning less than the mini-job amount (€450)

Residence registration

  • The child’s residence needs to also be registered at the Einwohnermeldeamt, the Standesamt might sometimes forward the details you registered with them, but it’s safe to call in and confirm. 
  • The Ausländerbehörde will also need to be informed so as to issue the child with the appropriate Aufenthaltstitel


  • With your new status as a parent, your tax class will need to change, thus you need to inform the local Einwohnermeldeamt. (They no longer issue a physical card, but you need a letter confirming the changes in your tax class)


  • This can be applied for from the embassy and/or the Einwohnermeldeamt if you want to have the child included in your passport (only for Germans)



Bureacratic perks from Government

Mutterschutz (Maternity Leave)


Kinderfreibetrag (Non-taxable child allowance)

  • You deduct this amount from your taxable income at the end of the year thus reduce the amount of taxes you pay in your taxes. The amount is currently at €4716 per child


Calculating taxes with the „Kindergeld-Method” Calculating taxes with the „Kinderfreibetrag-Method”
Kindergeld received 2.280 € 2.280 €
Taxable income 70.000 € 70.000 € – Kinderfreibetrag = 7.248 €
Taxes 14.340 € 11.948 € + Kindergeld = 14.228 €

(you need to pay back the Kindergeld)

Result Saving : 112 €


Grundfreibetrag (Non-taxable income)

  • To ensure all parents have the same amount of basic income for their children, the Grundfreibetrag allows parents a specified non-taxable income every year
  • Amount is set at €8820 in 2017

Kinderzuschlag (supplementary child allowance)


Elternzeit ()

  • Only open to those in employment and can be taken by both parents separately or simultaneously
  • Runs for a maximum of 3 years per child
  • It can be put off for up to 1 year but must be taken between the child’s 3rd and 8th birthday (or you lose it)
  • Inform your employer at least 7weeks before you plan to start your time off
  • READ: Laws Governing Parental Leave (Elternzeit) in Germany2014

Elterngeld (Parental Benefit)

  • Entitlement lapses at the child’s 8th birthday
  • Paid out for up to 14months for both births and adoptions
  • Not applicable to couples whose combined income exceeds €500,000 p.a.
  • minimum amount of parental benefit is €300 and the maximum amount is €1,800
  • each parent can claim a min. 2 months and a max of 12 months (combined)
  • Allows parents to work part-time for 25-30hrs a week
  • Apply for this at the Jugendamt in Berlin (other states do it at different offices, more details on the BMFSFJ website)
  • Apply early. You’re only allowed a delay of up to 3months
  • READ: Information on Parental Benefit (Elterngeld) in Germany

Elterngeld Plus ()

Partnerschaftsbonus ()

Mehrlingszuschlag ()

Share with friends: