Afrika Kommt is back and it’s looking for YOU!!!
Need a bit of motivation to decide? Watch Steve Ngatia or Lucy Mutinda who both took part in earlier years of the program.
AFRIKA KOMMT! offers more than the chance to acquire further training
Nineteen of Germany’s leading businesses have committed themselves to a common cause. In 2008 they launched AFRIKA KOMMT! and in so doing, lay the foundation stone for sustainable economic cooperation with Africa.
The programme not only trains young, future managers from Sub-Saharan Africa on-site with German companies, but is also directed at forming stable cooperative partnerships for the future. In the framework of the third year, 2013-15, some of the participating companies, for instance, SAP SE and MERck KG aA, have decided to host more than one AFRIKA KOMMT! participant.
Key elements of the Afrika kommt!
Financed by the German partner companies, the capacity development program Afrika kommt! is conducted in German and consists of the following key components:
- One-month home-based intensive German language preparation course
- One-week preparatory group session in a selected African country
- One-year stay in Germany comprising of:
- Three-months intensive German language course
- Nine-months practical training in a German partner company
- Three one-week training modules on international management and leadership competencies
- One-week study tour in Germany on relevant subjects, e.g. „Regional Economic Development“
- Weekend seminars on cultural and social subjects organised by the Robert Bosch Stiftung in Stuttgart and the ZEIT-Stiftung in Hamburg
- Cultural weekend activities organised by GIZ
- Six-months transfer phase after the stay in Germany via GIZ’s online platform Global Campus 21
- Refresher course in Africa, approx. 6-12 months after the stay in Germany, offering the former fellows to extend their networks with other alumni and to mutually benefit from their experiences
Win-win situation: benefits for both sides
At the heart of the Afrika kommt! fellowship program is a nine-month practical training in a leading German enterprise benefiting both, fellows and partner companies – a classic win-win situation:
The program fellows benefit through
- gaining first-hand practical experience in a leading German enterprise
- being exposed to leadership concepts and management techniques in practice
- becoming acquainted with working processes and business culture in German enterprises
- extending their international management competencies
- initiating networks of cooperation partners between Sub-Saharan Africa and German companies
- establishing networks of cooperation and trust in promising future markets in Sub-Saharan Africa
- extending their experience with the working and business culture in Sub-Saharan Africa
- improving their knowledge about cultures, markets, countries etc. in Sub-Saharan Africa
After three years a significant number of the participants now work in the branch office of their respective partner company in Africa.
The Afrika kommt! fellowship program includes:
- Language course
- Travelling expenses – Flights, Visa etc.
- Monthly living allowance of 750,- EUR during the stay in Germany. (Please Note: The monthly allowance of € 750,- EUR ensures an adequate standard of living in Germany. However, the amount is not sufficient to provide financial support for families or relatives and for this reason they cannot accompany the fellow to Germany. Additionally, the participants have to make arrangements to ensure the subsistence of their families in their home countries during their participation in the program.)
- One-off relocation fee of € 1.000,- for settling back into the home countries
- Insurance- Health, accident and liability insurance
- Trainings- International management training courses and Study tour and weekend seminars in Germany
Formal eligibility requirements
Candidates need to fulfil the following formal eligibility requirements:
- University degree in a relevant subject (please see individual company profiles below)
- Postgraduate degree (e.g. MBA) an advantage
- Two to five years of relevant work experience
- Excellent English language skills
- Basic knowledge of the German language an advantage
- Not older than 35 years and physically fit
- Female candidates are welcome
4 steps to apply
If you want to apply for the fourth Afrika kommt! intake from 2014-2016, please make sure you follow the four steps listed below:
- Step 1: Check the general candidate requirements – do you fit the criteria?
- Step 2: Check the available placements and required profiles of the 4. intake of Afrika kommt! 2014-2016 – Please remember you are applying for the program in general, not a specific placement
- Step 3: Visit www.afrika-kommt.de and fill in the application form
- Step 4: Submit your application BEFORE 7.9.2014, 23.59h CET – applications submitted after this date cannot be considered
Application submitted – what happens next?
Once you have applied within the application period, you will be informed within 6-8 weeks if your application has been successful. If so, you will receive an invitation to a 2-day assessment centre in Nairobi, Kenya, which will take place in November 2014.
The assessment centre includes a number of tasks, group activities and presentations and serves as a basis for the final decision. The results of the assessment centre will be communicated before end of 2014 – successful candidates will then receive the invitation to Germany for one year!
Leave of Absence
We recommend applicants to consider well in time how a one year stay in Germany could be arranged with their current work situation. Candidates might want to ask their employers for a leave of absence, either before applying or before the assessment center.
Closing date for the application period: 7.9.2014, 23:59h CET
To Apply, follow the link http://www.afrika-kommt.de