These study scholarships aim to provide foreign applicants from the field of Fine Art, Design, Film, Music and Architecture as well as Drama, Direction, Dance and Choreography with an opportunity to complete a course of extension studies, without gaining a formal degree of qualification, at a German state (public) or state-recognized institution of higher education.
Study scholarships are generally awarded for one academic year. In individual cases and upon application, scholarships may be extended.
The DAAD will pay a monthly scholarship of 750 Euros. As a rule, the scholarship additionally includes certain payments towards health insurance cover in Germany. In addition, the DAAD generally will pay an appropriate flat-rate travel allowance, unless these costs are covered by the home country or by another funding source. Furthermore, the DAAD will pay a study allowance and, where appropriate, a rent subsidy and family allowance.
- As a rule, scholarships for attendance of a course of extension studies are awarded to applicants who have exhausted the training possibilities available to them in their home country and have – as far as possible – concluded these studies with an appropriate degree. No more than six years should generally have passed between the time when they gained their degree and the time of this application.
- Applicants who have been residents in Germany for longer than one year at the time of application cannot be considered.
Detailed information on the application papers to be submitted can be found on the Application Form which can also be obtained from the DAAD office Nairobi, the German diplomatic and consular representations, and from partner organisations.
In addition, special leaflets for the fields of Fine Art, Design and Film, for Music and for Drama, Direction, Dance and Choreography provide information on aspects such as the work samples (portfolio) which applicants need to submit.
The DAAD will not consider incomplete applications!
- Application deadline: 30 September each year.
- German language skills are not expected.
- Kenyans may only submit their documents to the DAAD, Regional Office for Africa, Nairobi.
- Non-Kenyan citizens please apply through the relevant diplomatic and consular missions of the Federal Republic of Germany in their respective home countries.