Kenyans living in Germany, the US, UK, South Africa and UAE will now be able to apply for their passport renewals online using the government’s e-Citizen portal. This promises to be faster and more reliable than the traditional method of applying directly at the Kenyan Embassy.
However, the caveat of this is, the signed forms, copies of your documents and pictures still have to be submitted at the Kenyan Embassy.
Some questions remain unanswered regarding this process, for example:
- e-Citizen promises the applicant a waiting period of 5-15 days for their passport, Kenyan Embassy on their website promises to complete their process in 8 weeks or more….which of these time periods will apply?
- Secondly, the fees charged in Kenya differ from those demanded by the Kenyan Embassy, which fees will apply to Kenyan citizens that use eCitizen but have to hand in their applications at the local Embassy?
MU hopes to get these questions answered by the Kenyan Embassy in Berlin….
If you have not done it yet, set up your e-Citizen Account here. All you need is your ID Number and you can set up a password for your account and even upload your picture.
You can pay using mobile money, Credit and Debit Cards. You will have to print out a form at the end. You must sign and date the form, add any documents or photographs that are needed, and return it for processing.
During the submission you need the following:
- Applicants MUST appear in person for digital photo capture.
- An eCitizen pre-filled passport application form and three invoices.
- Original birth certificate and photocopy.
- Original National ID Card & copy.
- Three Current passport size photos.
- Recommenders ID Card copy.
- Old passport for replacement plus copies of last three pages.
- Parents National ID cards copies or Death Certificate if deceased.
- For Lost case a Sworn affidavit and a police abstract are required
- For Lost cases and Mutilated cases an explanation letter is required to explain the circumstances of the loss or mutilation
How long does it take to get a passport?
It should take at least 15 working days to get your first passport once your form has been physically submitted at the Immigration offices. For all other application types, it should take at least 5 working days.
It can take longer if more information is needed or your application has not been filled out correctly.
- Sign into e-Citizen here
- Pick on Department of Immigration Services
- Click on “Make Application”
- Click on “Kenyan Passport” for the drop down menu
- Click on “01.Passport Application Form for Adults” or
Filling in the application
- Read the instructions carefully then fill the application form.
- Select the mode of payment and pay for the passport fees.
- Download and print the application form and three copies of the application Invoice(Receipt).
- Submit the application form in person to the Immigration offices. (Nyayo house, Mombasa & Kisumu.)
- Please Declaration All Your Children during Passport Application
You can pay using mobile money, Credit and Debit Cards.
|PASSPORT TYPE||Fee (Kshs)||Embassy Fee|
|32 Pages Ordinary “A” Series||Kshs. 4,550||€ 60|
|48 pages Ordinary “B” Series||Kshs. 6,050||€ 80|
|64 Pages Ordinary “C” Series||Kshs. 7,550||€ 90|
|East African Passport||Kshs. 990||–|
|Diplomatic passport (48 page)||Kshs 7,550||–|
|Mutilated Passport||Kshs 10,050||€ 145|
|Lost Passport||Kshs 12,050||€ 150|