I think we (Kenyans) can do with some good news today. Wilson Kipsang just broke the world record this morning in Berlin. Wilson had yesterday spoken to the media and promised to beat Patrick Makau’s (another Kenyan) record of 2hr 3min 42sec at today’s marathon.
The 31-year-old Kipsang clocked a time of 2hr 3min 22sec to better the previous mark set by his compatriot Patrick Makau in the same race two years ago.
Kenya basically took all awards at this marathon, all top 5 positions went to Kenya:
- Wilson Kipsang Kiprotich (Kenya) 2:03:23 WR
- Eliud Kipchoge (Kenya) 2:04:05
- Geoffrey Kipsang (Kenya) 2:06:26
- Stephen Kwelio Chemlany (Kenya) 2:07:44
- Maswai Kiptanui (Kenya) 2:08:52
- Marilson dos Santos (Brazil) 2:09:24
- Suehiro Ishikawa (Japan) 2:10:24
- Koji Kobayashi (Japan) 2:11:31