July 1st (it was delayed a bit, but has been working since the second week of July at least), the Kenyan Ministry of Interior and Coordination of National Government introduced the e-Visa for foreigners interested in travelling to Kenya. This is to replace the visa applied for at the airport or even from the Kenyan Embassies abroad.
For those travelling this month, you still have the choice of getting your visa either from the embassy or at the airport in Kenya on arrival. However, from September 1st, this will no longer be possible. To avoid being caught unaware, here’s what you need to know about the e-Visa:
Cost: $50 for the visa and $1 for the processing fee
Duration of issuance: It takes a few minutes for the visa to be processed, though officially, the say about 7 days. The visa can be applied for 3months before the travelling date. The visa can be issued for a period of up to 3months from the date of arrival.
From when it’s needed: Anyone with foreign citizenship (including Kenyan citizens holding foreign passports and no Kenyan passport) arriving in Kenya from 1st September.
How to get one:
- Click register on www.ecitizen.go.ke
- Select Register as a Visitor.
- Enter your details on account.ecitizen.go.ke/visitor-registration
- Once Logged in, Select Deparment of Immigration services.
- Select submit Appplication.
- Select Kenyan Visa.
- Select the type of Visa and read the Instructions Carefully.
- Fill in the application form.
- Pay Using visa card, Mastercard and other debit cards.
- Await approval via email, then download and print the eVisa from your eCitizen account.
- Present your printed eVisa to the immigration officer at the port of entry.
- Visa processing fee is non refundable.
- Incomplete applications will be rejected.
- The possesion of an eVisa is not the final Authority to enter The Republic of Kenya.
- Engaging in any form of business or employment without a requisite permit or pass is an offence.
- A visa is required prior to entry into The Republic of Kenya.
- The e-Visa printout must be presented at the port of entry.
- It should take atleast 2 working days to get your eVisa.
- Each adult visitor to the Republic of Kenya is required to submit evisa applications in their personal ecitizen account. Parents can apply for their children in the parents account.