The New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD) is a programme of the African Union adopted in 2001 in Lusaka, Zambia, aimed primarily at poverty alleviation and promotion of economic growth and sustainable development in Africa. As a consequence of the integration of NEPAD into the structures and processes of the African Union, the NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency (NPCA) has been established by the Decision of the 14th AU Assembly of February 2010 as the technical body of the African Union, in replacement of the NEPAD Secretariat.
The mandate of the NEPAD Agency is to:
- Facilitate and coordinate the implementation of continental and regional priorityprogrammes and projects;
- Mobilize resources and partners in support of the implementation of Africa’s priorityprogrammes and projects;
- Conduct and coordinate research and knowledge management;
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of programmes and projects; and
- Advocate on the AU and NEPAD vision, mission and core principles/values.
The offices of the NEPAD Agency are located in Midrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Job Title: Data Analyst
Position Level: Intern or Fellow (Young Professional)
Duty Station: NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency, Midrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Supervisor: Relevant Directorate, Division or Programme in NEPAD Agency
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
Under the supervision of the relevant Directorate, Division, Programme or Unit of the NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency, the Young Professional Data Analyst will be responsible for supporting the statistical collation and analysis as well as the information needs for planning and implementation of regional projects. He/she will assist with the development of improved management information system essential for the regional programme.
Specifically, the YPP Data Analyst will perform and carry out the following specific duties and responsibilities:
- Support the acquisition of necessary data, information and requisite knowledge at the NEPAD Agency towards assembling the database for the programme
- Work with supervisor to interpret, transfer all statistical information on the relevant NEPAD project and communicate results of the data analysis to relevant stakeholders
- Participate in providing statistical data as input into report writing, presentations, and publication of results and findings
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of data as contributions to the development and writing of programme proposals
- Evaluate existing data analysis tools, including models to determine relevance to NEPAD Agency’s operations and procedures
- Upload content to the infrastructure information portal and regularly update it with new developments
- Ensure user-friendly data is available to inform the findings and conclusions to staff and external stakeholders
- Assist with the development of policy on information sharing and contribute to the improvement and maintenance of the NEPAD website or KM portal as well as database including rollout and future upgrades of the system
- Perform any other related duty as maybe required.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Citizen of an AU Member State or an African in the Diaspora
- Be 30 years of age or younger at the time of application (for YPP Interns) or be lessthan 40 years old (for YPP Fellow)
- Be fluent in English or French and proficiency in other AU working languages
- Specialty in Data Analysis, Statistics or a relevant field to the NEPAD Agency’s keythematic focus areas
- Should possess a minimum of Bachelor degree (Hons) from a recognized University(BA/BSc/BComm etc.) while current enrolment or the completion of a post-graduatedegree will be an added advantage
- Demonstrated commitment to African development (field experience on the continentand/or in other developing countries is an added advantage)
- Ability/motivation to work in a multi-cultural work environment
- High level of integrity and accountability, flexible approaches to work coupled with enthusiasm, commitment and energetic
- Maintain confidentiality at the highest level at all times
- Possess good analytical and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Basic experience in data management and analysis, as well as knowledge of statistical analysis requirements within 1-2 years post-University qualifications
- Basic knowledge of data management and different data collection methodologies including rational databases (RDBMS), monitoring and optimizing databases to provide high accessibility and quality of service.
- Other skills and competencies: Good knowledge of database software: EXCEL, SPSS, and/or other statistical programmes.
Interested candidates are invited to send their application and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org