My favourite, the rate at which I eat rice I must have been Asian or West African in my first life. Kenyans don’t (openly) like rice as much; we’re more like closeted rice lovers…LOL…Here is the recipe for some coconut rice with peas.
- Coconut milk
- Heat your pot with some little oil
- Add the rice and peas
- Add the coconut milk preferrably when warm
- Stir, then let it simmer at low heat for about 15mins
- (If you want this as a healthy meal, you can speak the frying of rice and just boil the coconut milk then add rice)
- If you’re using an electric cooker, during the last few minutes before all water has dried up. Turn it off and cover the pot with a foil sheet plus a cover and let the rice dry from the saved heat. This avoids burning; ensures the rice is completely ready and saves energy.
- If your coconut milk is solidified, you can use a bit to fry the rice a bit before you add the rest of the milk.
- If you make the coconut milk yourself, avoid diluting it too much but also don’t use very concentrated milk cause then the rice becomes sticky almost like Ugali
- Use basmati or thai rice, they look really good and remain grainy even when ready, and they smell great (but not as good as our pishori from back home, so if you were planning to call the neighbours using your rice, pole sana. Or you can import some from home)
- Remember for one cup of rice, you use 2 cups of solute (water/coconut milk)