Many of the foreigners living in Germany, who have an academic or vocational qualification granted from their country of origin, encounter difficulties in finding qualified employment here. This is could be due to a lack of recognition or accreditation of their degrees in the German job market.
ProSALAMANDER (Programm zur Stärkung ausländischer Akademiker/innen durch Nachqualifizierung an den Universitäten Duisburg-Essen und Regensburg), a qualification programme conducted by the Universities of Duisburg-Essen and Regensburg, deals with that problem. It offers a possibility for migrants, who have a degree from abroad in certain subjects to study further, close possible knowledge gaps in their field of education, improve their language skills and finally obtain an equivalent German academic degree (bachelor or master).
Information for applicants
For the winter semester the Mercator foundation is awarding 40 university places including scholarships to eligible candidates: 23 at the University of Duisburg-Essen and 17 at the University of Regensburg. The duration of the scholarship alternates between 12 and 18 months and 600 to 800 euros per month.
Who can apply?
Everyone having a foreign academic degree in the fields of study mentioned below (or similar fields) which is not recognized (accredited) in Germany (formally or on the job market)
What are the requirements for application?
- a secure resident permit status in Germany
- a foreign academic degree in one of the following fields:
- German language skills: on level DSH 2 or TestDaF 4 (The German language skills have to be on the required level latest by October 2013)
- The motivation and willingness to study full-time at the respective university
Which documents are required for the application?
- motivation letter in German (1 to 2 pages)
- detailed CV in German
- filled and signed Bewerbungsbogen
- filled and signed „Antrag auf Zulassung zum Studium“ (application for admission) of the respective university:
- Zulassungsantrag Universität Regensburg
- Zulassungsantrag Universität Duisburg-Essen
- certified copy of school leaving certificate certified copy and certified German or English translation of all university or college diplomaTranscript of Records (German translation or English)copy of all language certificates
- information about the measures taken to receive accreditation of the degree in Germany (contact with accreditation agencies and authorities in Germany)
- information about resident permit status in Germany
Please send your completed application form and supporting documents via mail to the university that you are applying for:
Joanna Sommer (Dipl. Päd.)
Deutsch als Zweitsprache
Telefon: +49 941/9435759
Julia Hermann (Dipl.-Soz.-Wiss., B.Sc.)
Zentrum für Hochschul- und Qualitätsentwicklung (ZfH)
Raum SK 318
Telefon: +49 203/3792804
For more info, you can visit the ProSALAMANDER website.