The Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies (TGCL) , a think tank on East African Community law, is a cooperation project of the University of Dar es Salaam and the University of Bayreuth in Germany. It is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office through the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
The Tanzanian German Center for East African Legal studies (TGCL) offers aspiring lawyers and law students from the Partner States of the East African Community a structured LLM and PhD study programme with the goal of qualifying them for leading positions in the region.
Structured LLM and PhD study programmes at the University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, are addressed to aspiring young East African lawyers, qualifying them for leading positions in the region.
The deadline for applications is Friday, 17 February 2017.
1. Application Requirements
Applications are invited especially from candidates from the East African Community Partner States (i.e. Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda).
The formal minimum requirements for admission to the LLM and PhD programmes are:
- for the LLM programme: a Bachelor’s degree in law (LLB) with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or its equivalent from a recognised higher learning institutions.
- for the PhD programme: an excellent LLM degree from a recognised institution
The language of instruction in the School of Law is English. Those who are not conversant with it should not apply.
2. The Contents of the Programme
The LLM candidates will pursue a coursework and a dissertation programme on Regional Integration and East African Community Law. The programme takes one year of fulltime attendance.
PhD students are required to write a comprehensive PhD thesis within three years of full time attendance.
The TGCL will offer seminars and workshops on academic research methodology and professional leadership skills for its students, accompanied by an introduction to German Law and the Law of the European Union. Additionally, interdisciplinary seminars and a German language course are part of the programme.
On successful completion of the programme, the students will obtain a law degree from the University of Dar es Salaam and an additional TGCL Certificate.
3. Research Agenda of the TGCL
All LLM dissertations and PhD theses must focus on East African Community Law (EAC law) and or Regional Integration Law (focussed on the EAC), if possible in relation to the student’s own national law.
PhD candidates are encouraged to compare two or more national laws of EAC Partner States in the light of regional integration.
Kindly observe the “Guide for TGCL Research Proposals”, which is attached to this Call for Applications.
Scholarships are granted only to applicants from EAC countries and will cover:
- the university fees for the LLM/PhD programme
- a reasonable health insurance
- an annual stipend of 2,400 EUR for Tanzanians and of 3,000 EUR for non-Tanzanians
- a housing allowance of 30 EUR per month
- a once-off research grant of 460 EUR for LLM and 920 EUR for PhD
5. Mode of Application
The applicant must register online through the TGCL website and submit the following documents electronically:
- a signed curriculum vitae with clear evidence of periods of legal and other relevant education, training and practical experience. It is compulsory to use the Europass CV template (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu).
- one page letter of motivation
- certified photocopies of all relevant certificates (birth certificate, school leaving certificates, academic transcripts, certificates of legal or other professional education, including provisional results for applicants who are in the final year of their LLB studies); in the case of documents not in English an official translation should be attached
- a passport picture
- a release letter from your employer (if you are employed)
- a proposal of the intended research (for LLM candidates: 1,500 words; for PhD candidates: 3,000 words) – see annexed guidelines
- for PhD candidates: an electronic copy of your LLM dissertation
Additionally, applicants must send
- (1) Hard copies of all application documents mentioned above
- (2) three letters of recommendation (signed and sealed),
- (3) a printout of the online registration form to:
The Coordinator, TGCL, Dr Benedict T. Mapunda,
University of Dar es Salaam School of Law,
P.O. Box 35093, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania;
phone: +255 22 278 1422;
fax: +255 22 278 0217;
For more info: tgcl.uni-bayreuth.de