Deutsche Welle’s newly-designed traineeship takes you around the world in just 18 months.
Application Deadline: February 22, 2017.
We are looking for young people from all over the world interested in a comprehensive, exceptional quality journalism program with an international broadcaster. Candidates should have journalism experience or be passionate about switching to journalism from technology/IT, economics or the sciences. We are looking for open-minded people full of creative ideas. The program covers the range of skills a journalist of the future needs: TV moderation, multimedia storytelling, data journalism, social media and virtual reality – in seminars, workshops and of course the DW editorial offices and our correspondent bureaux in Washington, Moscow and Brussels. DW trainees are involved in long-term innovative, international projects and have been honored in past years with the CNN Journalism Award and the Grimme Prize.
The 18-month multimedia traineeship is for online, radio and television and comprises:
- six months in total of theory as well as practical training seminars held in English and German with instruction by working journalists
- nine months of placements with various DW editorial departments in Bonn and Berlin, and including a placement with a DW foreign bureau in Brussels, Moscow or Washington
- a one-month placement with DW’s partner broadcaster, Deutschlandradio
- a one-month placement with a media organization of your choice
- one month of vacation
Because of the traineeship’s multimedia focus, we want our trainees to think outside of the box right from the start and learn to choose appropriate and varied formats for the topics they tackle. That’s why we have designed seminar blocks that take an in-depth look at different types of reporting such as data-driven journalism, mobile reporting and investigative research. The highlight of the traineeship is the final project where the trainees work together as a team to create a high-quality multimedia product.
DW journalism traineeship
• 18 months
• trainee salary
• international broadcaster in 30 languages
• crossmedia: TV, online and radio
• six months of seminar blocks
• internships in Berlin and Bonn
• placement with DW foreign bureau
• international multimedia projects
• well-known media trainers
And you do get paid for your efforts. During the initial six months of the traineeship you earn a pre-tax monthly salary of 1.590 euros. That increases to 1.790 euros for the following six months, and to 1.855 euros for the final six months. Deutsche Welle’s traineeship is a full-time program. In exceptional cases, temporary employment outside of the program may be approved.
If you have any questions, we have the answers! Here are some of the questions we’re most frequently asked. If you still need additional information, we’re happy to help. Send us an email or give us a call.