The Heinrich Böll Foundation grants scholarships to approximately 1,000 undergraduates, graduates, and doctoral students of all subjects and nationalities per year, who are pursuing their degree at universities, universities of applied sciences (‘Fachhochschulen’), or universities of the arts (‘Kunsthochschulen’). We expect our scholarship recipients to have excellent academic records, to be socially and politically engaged, and to have an active interest in the basic values of the foundation: ecology and sustainability, democracy and human rights, self determination and justice.
The online application portal opens on January 26, 2016 and closes on March 2, 2016 at the latest.
By March 1, 2016 interested candidates can apply for:
- undergraduate scholarship for German and German-educated applicants (Bildungsinländer/innen) from universities of applied science (Fachhochschulen)
- undergraduate scholarship for German and German-educated applicants (Bildungsinländer/innen) scholarships from universities and universities of applied science (Fachhochschulen) for the journalism programme “Medienvielfalt, anders“
- graduate scholarships for international students
- doctoral scholarships for German and German-educated applicants (Bildungsinländer/innen) and for international students
- doctoral scholarships in the focus programme “Transformation Research” for German and for international students
- undergraduate and graduate scholarships for refugees who are studying, or wish to study in Germany at any kind of university and regardless of their number of semester
Please note: We accept only online applications
1. Check if you are among the special focus groups in this application round
2. Gather information on the application process and the requested documents
3. Register for the online application portal
4. Provide the requested information in the Online Application Portal
5. After uploading all of your documents, submit your application before the end of the application deadline
For details of application requirements and procedures, please consult information sheet A 1-1 (“scholarship application for undergraduate and graduate students”, PDF) or A 2-1 (“scholarship application for doctoral studies”). These give important information on the formalities of your application and on preconditions and criteria.