Converting Foreign (Kenyan) Vocational Qualifications to a German Equivalent

Manfred Gößl (stellvertretender Hauptgeschäftsführer der IHK für München und Oberbayern), Florence Alice Akinyi-Roß aus Waldkraiburg und Dr. Josef Amann (Leiter des Bereichs Berufsbildung der IHK für München und Oberbayern)
(l. to r.) Manfred Gößl (CEO of the IHK Munich and Upper Bayern), Florence Alice Akinyi-Roß from Waldkraiburg and Dr. Josef Amann (Head of the Berufsbildung Department of the IHK Munich and Upper Bayern) during the Awarding ceremony

You might have read the story of the Kenyan who became the First African to have their Kenyan qualification certified as equivalent to a German Ausbildung. So I sought to find out, how others can have their vocational training from Kenyan recognised as equivalent to a german ausbildung and this is what I found.

This doesn’t apply to University degrees, you can check the German equivalent of your Kenyan degree here.

Since 1 April 2012 you can have your foreign vocational qualification recognised, increasing your chances on the German labour market. If your qualification is in the fields of industry, commerce, hospitality or services, you will need to contact IHK FOSA (Foreign Skills Approval), the central certification authority of the German Chambers of Commerce and Industry (IHK), for this purpose.




How it works

IHK FOSA will compare your foreign vocational quali- fication to a corresponding German qualification. The most important criteria are the content and duration of the training courses; occupational experience and further training are also taken into consideration.
If a comparison finds no significant differences, you will receive an official, legally secure document from IHK FOSA confirming that your foreign vocational qualification is of equal value to the corresponding German qualification.

If significant differences are found, IHK FOSA can cer- tify that your qualification is partially of equal value.
In that case, the certificate will describe your existing qualifications and how they specifically differ from the corresponding German qualification. This certificate will allow you to either apply directly to employers or seek appropriate further training in order to acquire the missing qualifications.


What you have to do

Fill in the application form (available from www.ihk-

We also require the following documents:

  • Copy of proof of identity (ID card or passport)
  • Certificate of foreign vocational qualification
  • Documentation indicating relevant occupational experience
  • Other documents (e.g. further training certificates)
  • Intention to pursue employment (not required for citizens of the EU/EEA/Switzerland or persons normally resident in the EU/EEA/Switzerland)

Please note: Qualification certificates must be submitted as certified copies; for all other documents, standard copies will generally suffice. Documents in languages other than German must additionally be translated by a publicly appointed and sworn translator.



A fee is payable for this process. Fees vary depending on the individual time and effort required, and range from €100 to €600. If you are unemployed or seeking work, we recommend that you enquire with your Job- center prior to submitting your application in order to determine whether the labour administration can cover the costs for you.


Where to send the application

Please send your application together with the required documents to:

IHK FOSA (Foreign Skills Approval)
Ulmenstraße 52g,
90443 Nürnberg


More Info

For more information:


Telephone hotline: +49 (0)911/ 81 50 60


Share with friends: