EDITION 02/2013 KENYA NEWSLETTER
Welcome to the second edition (2013) of our quarterly E-Newsletter. We look forward to receiving your feedback.
The Kenya Embassy Berlin Team
Cabinet Secretaries Appointments
H.E. President Uhuru Kenyatta appointed 18 Cabinet Secretaries following their approval by the National Assembly. The swearing-in of the Cabinet Secretaries took place on 15th May, 2013, at State House, Nairobi.
The following is the full list of the Cabinet Secretaries:
1. Mr. Joseph ole Lenku – Interior and Co-ordination of National Government
2. Ms. Ann Waiguru, O.G.W. – Devolution and Planning
3. Amb. Amina Mohammed, C.B.S. – Foreign Affairs
4. Amb. Raychelle Omamo – Defence
5. Prof. Jacob Kaimenyi – Education, Science and Technology
6. Mr. Henry Rotich – National Treasury
7. Mr. James Macharia – Health
8. Eng. Michael Kamau, C.B.S. – Transport and Infrastructure
9. Prof. Judi Wakhungu – Environment, Water and Natural Resources
10. Hon. Charity Ngilu, E.G.H. – Land, Housing and Urban development
11. Dr. Fred Matiang’i – Information, Communication and Technology (ICT)
12. Dr. Hassan Wario Arero – Sports, Culture and the Arts
13. Hon. Kazungu Kambi – Labour, Social Security and Services
14. Mr. Davies Chirchir – Energy and Petroleum
15. Mr. Felix Kosgey – Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries
16. Mr. Adan Mohammed – Industrialization and Enterprise Development
17. Ms. Phyllis Kandie – East African Affairs, Commerce and Tourism
18. Hon. Najib Balala – Mining
Principal Secretaries Appointments
H.E. President Uhuru Kenyatta appointed 26 Principal Secretaries after their approval by the National Assembly. The Principal Secretaries took their oath of office on 27th June, 2013, at State House, Nairobi.
The following is the list of the Principal Secretaries:
1. Mr. Mutea Iringo (Interior)
2. Ms. Josephta Mukobe (Co-ordination)
3. Mr. John Konchella (Devolution)
4. Eng. Peter Oganga Magiti (Planning)
5. Amb. Monica Kathina Juma (Defence)
6. Eng. Karanja Kibicho (Foreign Affairs)
7. Dr. Belio Kipsang (Education)
8. Prof. Colletta Suda (Science and Technology)
9. Dr. Kamau Thugge (National Treasury)
10. Prof. Fred H. K. Segor (Health)
11. Mr. Nduva Muli (Transport Services)
12. Eng. John Kipngetich Mosonik (Infrastructure)
13. Mr. James Teko Lopoyetum (Water)
14. Mr. Richard Lerisian Lesiyampe (Environment and Natural Resources)
15. Ms. Mariamu El Maawy (Land, Housing and Urban Development)
16. Mr. Joseph Musuni Tiampaty (Information, Communication and Technology)
17. Mr. Patrick Omutia (Sports, Culture and the Arts)
18. Mr. Ali Noor Ismail (Labour, Social Security and Services)
19. Eng. Joseph K. Njoroge (Energy and Petroleum)
20. Ms. Sicily Kanini Kariuki (Agriculture)
21. Dr. Khadijah Kassachom (Livestock)
22. Prof. Japheth Micheni Ntiba (Fisheries)
23. Dr. Wilson Songa (Industrialization and Enterprise Development
24. Mr. Mwanamaka Amani Mabruki (East African Community Affairs)
25. Dr. Ibrahim M. Mohamed (Commerce and Tourism)
26. Amb. Richard Ekai Titus (Mining)
50 YEARS OF AFRICAN UNION
The year 2013 marks the 50th Anniversary of the formation of the Organization of African Unity, which gave way for the establishment of the African Union.
The 50th Anniversary of the African Union was marked with various activities and events by African Missions in Berlin.
African Ambassadors Meeting with H.E. President Joachim Gauck
The African Ambassadors Meeting, held at Bellevue Palace, the Official Residence of the Federal President, marked the 50th Anniversary of the African Union.
H.E Joachim Gauck, President of the Federal Republic of Germany, with H.E. Ken Osinde, during a Meeting with African Ambassadors on 24th May, 2013, in Berlin.
The Kenya Embasy Berlin together with other African Embassies in Berlin celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the African Union with a Diplomatic Reception on 21st May, 2013.
Guests keenly follow proceedings during the Diplomatic Reception hosted by African Diplomatic Missions in Germany on 21st May, 2013, at the KfW Building in Berlin.
The Diaspora Day celebrated the rich and diverse cultural heritage of African countries. The event saw public performances by different African musicians and dancers followed by an African Cuisine Reception.
H.E. Amb. Ken Osinde with Embassy Staff at the Africa Diapora Day on 24th May, 2013. From the left, Mr. Sylvester Koech (Second Secretary), Ms. Britta Berete (Translator) and Ms. Martha Ireri (Confidential Secretary).
Meeting at the Official Residence of the German President
The function, hosted by the German Federal President on 24th May 2013, marked the 50th Anniversary of the African Union.
H.E. Ken Osinde with Ms. Wangari Greiner, a Kenya Diaspora serving on the Advisory Council to the Federal Presidency and Chancellor on Integration.
German Development Day 2013
The theme of the German Development Day was ‘Your Commitment-Our Future’
H.E Amb. Ken Osinde with other members of the diplomatic corps in the event organized by the Federal Government to Commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the African Union on 25th May, 2013.
Members of the public were treated to a wide range of exhibits by various countries as well as organizations active in development co-operation during the German Development Day 2013.
H.E. Amb. Ken Osinde poses for a photo with Embassy Staff at the Kenya Stand during the event on 25th May, 2013.
The “Africa – An Economy Poised for Takeoff” Conference
The Conference was held in recognition of the 50 Years of African Union and was sponsored by the German Chamber of Industry and Commerce (DIHK).
The “Africa – An Economy Poised for Takeoff” Conference was held on 27th June, 2013, in Berlin. The event brought together key figures from the public and private sectors. It was officially opened by Mr. Dirk Niebel (Federal Minister for Economic and Technical Cooperation) and the key note speech was given by Prof. Mthuli Ncube (Vice-President and Chief Economist of the African Development Bank). Kenya was represented by H.E. Ken Osinde, who gave a vote of thanks on behalf of the African Ambassadors in Berlin. Others in attendance were: Mrs. Rosemary Owino (Minister-Counsellor) and Mr. Oliver Konje ( Commercial Attaché).
The 7th German-Africa Energy Forum
The Forum, held from 7th to 10th April, 2013, focused on energy, ranging from oil and gas to conventional power and renewable energies.
Co-operation Agreement Between Dedan Kimathi University of Technology and the Technical University of Applied Sciences, Wildau
Members of the Academic Staff of Dedan Kimathi University of Technology, Nyeri, Kenya, led by their Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Ndirangu Kioni, visited Germany from 2nd June to 9th June, 2013. During their visit, a co-operation agreement was signed between the two Universities.
H.E. Amb. Ken Osinde witnessing the signing of the Co-operation Agreement between the Dedan Kimathi University of Technology, Nyeri, Kenya and the Technical University of Applied Sciences, Wildau, Germany, on 7th June, 2013, at the Technical University of Applied Sciences in Wildau. Signing on behalf of Dedan Kimathi University is the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Ndirangu Kioni and on behalf of the Technical University of Applied Sciences, Wildau, is the President of the University, Prof. László Ungvári.
Members of the Academic Staff of Dedan Kimathi University of Technology and the Technical University of Applied Sciences, Wildau, at the Embassy Chancery
The purpose of the visit was to brief H.E. the Ambassador on the Co-operation between the two Universities.
Members of the Academic Staff from Dedan Kimathi University of Technology, Nyeri, Kenya and the Technical University of Applied Sciences, Wildau, Germany, visited the Kenya Embassy Berlin Chancery on 4th June, 2013.
This is an annual meeting of commonwealth diplomats based in Berlin.
H.E. Peter Rider, Ambassador of New Zealand & President of Commonwealth Ambassadors, with Mrs. Rosemary Owino, Minister-Counsellor, Kenya Embassy Berlin, and Mr. Fabian Bahr, Director, GD Berlin Office, during the Commonwealth Dialogue Meeting on 11th April, 2013, in Berlin.
Visit by the Auditor General to the Kenya Embassy Chancery
The Auditor General, Kenya National Audit Office, and his team were on a benchmarking tour in Germany. The visit was sponsored by the German development organization, Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ).
H.E. Amb. Ken Osinde and Mr. Edward Ouko, the Auditor General, at the Kenya Embassy Berlin Chancery on 10th June, 2013.
Deputy Secretary General of the East African Community (EAC) Visits Kenya Embassy Berlin Chancery
The Deputy Secretary General (Political Federation) led a delegation to an International Conference in Berlin entitled “Perspectives of China, India and Germany in East Africa” at the Federal Foreign Office, Berlin, on 24th June, 2013.
Dr. Julius Rotich, Deputy Secretary General (Right), together with Mrs. Rosemary Owino, Minister-Counsellor, Kenya Embassy Berlin (Middle) and Mr. Leonhard Onyonyi, the Peace and Security Officer, East African Community (left) at the Kenya Embassy Berlin Chancery on 25th June, 2013.
H.E. the Ambassador visited the Federal Ministry For Economic Cooperation And Development (BMZ) in Bonn, Germany, for bilateral talks touching on the forthcoming development cooperation negotiations between Kenya and Germany.
H.E. Amb. Ken Osinde with Dr. Ralf-Mathias Mohs, Head of East Africa Department, and Mr. Michael Münch, Desk Officer for Kenya, at the BMZ Office in Bonn, Germany, on 18th June, 2013.
Meeting with the Kenyan Diaspora in Frankfurt (am Main)
H.E. the Ambassador met Kenyans living in Frankfurt, Germany, after attending the “Effects of Violence on the Health of Women” Conference and the Kenyan Diaspora Meeting on 13th July, 2013.
H.E. Ken Osinde (Far Right) and the Immigration attaché, Mr. Wilfred Wamela (Second from Left) posing for a photo with Kenyans living in Frankfurt.
Diaspora Consultative Meeting in Cologne
The Meeting, under the theme “Pamoja: 50 Years of Independence” was graced by H.E. the Ambassador. He advised the Kenyans in Diaspora to be actively involved in building Kenya by investing back at home.
H.E. Ken Osinde at the Diaspora Consultative Meeting in Cologne on 12th July, 2013.
Diaspora Consultative Meeting in Cologne
The Head of the Consular Section, Mr. Wilfred Wamela, during the meeting, explained issues on processing of Passports, emergency travel documents, as well as other consular matters affecting the Diaspora.
Mr. Wilfred Wamela at the Diaspora Consultative Meeting in Cologne on 12th July, 2013.
Embassy of the Republic of Kenya
Telephone: (030) 25 92 66 – 0
Fax: (030) 25 92 66 50