This festive season, Mkenya Ujerumani e.V. will be supporting StoryMoja in their #StartALibrary Campaign. Their goal is to start 100 libraries in 2017 and we want to help them achieve it. They have started 101 libraries since they started in 2014.
We would like to welcome you to join this movement, it only costs you €1 for each book and you can donate as many books as you wish to.
Why you should support this:
- Only 20% of Standard 7 pupils in Kenya, can read or solve a standard 2 math problem
- Only 16% of Standard 3 pupils in East Africa passed the basic literacy and numeracy tests
- Only 42% of pupils from ultra poor backgrounds, 56% from poor and 70% from non-poor backgrounds passed basic numeracy and literacy tests for their ages
Kenya is one of the best-educated low-income countries in sub-Saharan Africa and yet many primary school students read below grade level and seven out of ten students in third grade, for example, cannot read at a second grade level. In poor rural areas, teacher quality is particularly low and the problem is compounded by the fact that many children begin primary school unprepared and with minimal pre-reading skills. In rural parts of western Kenya for example, 84 percent of children under five years old live in homes that do not have a single children’s book.
Researchers are evaluating a low-cost program that produces and distributes children’s storybooks to households with children between ages two and six, to increase school readiness.
*Fernald, L.; Jakiela, P; Ozier, O: Kenya: EMERGE Reading. World Bank. 2016.
How to donate:
Credit Card or Paypal:
Visit their page on Yetu.org here.
- Proceed to the Mpesa Menu
- Select Pay Bill
- Enter the business no as: 202211
- Enter the account no as: ‘Start a library’
- Insert Amount
- Insert MPESA pin and Confirm transaction
- Bank Name: Diamond Trust Bank Limited
- Bank Code: 063
- Branch Code: 041
- Account Number: 0150579001
- Narration: Donor mobile number (07XX XXX XXX)